Subject: Re: Refraction
From: Mark Thompson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 16:10:36 EDT

> Is that bug which required a refractive index of 1.001 of no concern anymore?

That bug has been fixed in 3.5. Unfortunately, a new one was introduced
which can cause small speckles in your refracting medium if your object
has polygons that occupy the same physical location (which is what happens
if you attempt to accurately model refraction). The sort-of temporary fix
is to offset your front facing polys from your back facing ones (ie. create
a small gap between them). Allen is aware of the problem and should have it
fixed in 4.0. Its kind of ironic that refraction has not worked properly
in any release other than the first one it was introduced in (LW2.0)
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%      `       '        Mark Thompson                 CONCURRENT COMPUTER  %
% --==* RADIANT *==--   [email-masked]        Principal Graphics   %
%      ' Image `        ...!uunet!masscomp!mark       Hardware Architect   %
%     Productions       (508)392-2480 (603)424-1829   & General Nuisance   %
%                                                                          %
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~